Appointed as President and Managing Director during the resort’s development in 2009 Daniel A. Hostettler, a hospitality executive with 20 years of luxury hotel and restaurant industry experience, has been instrumental in the development, growth and management of, as well as the service delivery within, the Ocean House and its sister property the Weekapaug Inn. Hostettler’s responsibilities include overseeing day-to-day operations as well as the long term strategic vision for the properties.
His distinguished career in international hospitality includes the development and management of hotels, restaurants, residential components and private clubs; including overseeing leading landmark hotel and resort properties across the United States and Europe.
- President and Managing Director of Lajitas - The Ultimate Hideout, an independently-owned, Mobil Four-Star, AAA Four Diamond, Leading Hotel of the World and Preferred Hotel of the World property based in Texas. At Lajitas, he oversaw development and implementation of architecture, interior design, construction and branding of the property, including its championship golf course and country club, world-class spa, and residential community, as well as its equestrian, shooting and hunting facilities. During Hostettler’s tenure, Lajitas’ annual revenues and occupancy swelled by more than 20 percent annually.
- Hostettler served as Managing Director at La Posada de Santa Fe Resort & Spa in Santa Fe, N.M., and the Summer Lodge Hotel and Spa in Dorset, England, luxury resorts and members of Preferred Hotels and Resorts and Relais et Chateaux.
- Previously, Hostettler held a variety of positions with Meadowood, Napa Valley, and was part of the opening team of The Peninsula, Beverly Hills a Forbes Five Star and AAA Five Diamond Property.
- Successfully participated in the opening of five luxury properties.
Awards & Accolades
- Rhode Island Hotelier of the Year, 2011
- US Hotelier of the Year, 2011
- Member, Cornell Hotel Society
- Board Member, Rhode Island Hospitality Association
- Board Member, South County Tourism Bureau
- Fellow, Gerson Lehrman Group - Leisure & Lodging Council
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, Resort Managers of America
- Member, American Hotel and Lodging Association
Publications/Teaching & Lecturing
- Strategic Positioning of a Luxury hotel product: Hotel Investments Issues and Perspective, Text, 5th Edition
- Case Study & Chapter: Managing Guest Services in Hospitality, Wiley 1st Edition
- Visiting Professor, Johnson & Wales University
- Visiting Lecturer, Boston University, School of Hotel & Restaurant Administration
Education & Training
- BSBA Hotel & Restaurant Management, University of Denver
- BSBA Finance, University of Denver
- GMP, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
- CDP, The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
- Certified Hotel Administrator, American Hotel & Motel Association
- Grew up and was educated in Europe and as a result is fluent in Swiss-German, and conversational in French and Spanish, in addition to English
- Mr. Hostettler, his wife and two young children reside in Westerly, R.I.